Monday, August 25, 2008

Starting a good habit again


This morning, my first day of fall classes, I walked to work. Work is 1 1/2 miles in each direction, and is a slow but steady start for my training. The trick with walking to work on the first day of classes is that I usually wear a suit that day to give me the feeling of being ready. (Even professors need to psych themselves up!)

Wearing a suit is not compatible with walking 1.5 miles in each direction with a 10 pound backpack and Nordic walking poles. On the other hand, making excuses like "I can't walk today because I have to dress up" is not conducive to making good habits to last the rest of my life.

My solution: I packed my suit and hosiery in the computer backpack and wore shorts and t-shirt to work. This actually worked very well, and will give me the advantage of having a suit ready at work in case I don't feel like packing my work wardrobe in the backpack one day. I felt a little strange dressing out at work, but I've fixed up my office so I can do precisely that. I even have facial wipes and makeup so I can freshen up. Now I'm ready to teach classes, and can change back into my shorts when it's time to walk home.

No comments: