Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Needed: SMART Planning

Although it is almost 11 months till my walk, I find myself dismayed at my lax schedule. I walk 3 miles a day most days-- but not if it's raining. And I haven't increased my distance yet. The good news is that I'm finally feeling good at the end of my walks. Mmm, exercise buzz!

Luckily, I've pulled in an ally -- or, rather, a support group full. My workplace has started a wellness group focused on improving nutrition and exercise behavior. One of the first things the group reminded me of is the necessity of setting SMART goals:
S = specific
M = measurable
A = attainable
R = relevant
T = time oriented.

Another thing I was reminded of in the first session is that I need to plan for how to deal with obstacles --like rainy or busy days. For this week, the goal is a consistent 5 days of 3-mile days regardless of weather. If it rains, I will either do the indoor track at the fitness center or a treadmill. Next week, I will go for 3.5 miles and increase to four miles the week after, then maintain for a couple weeks.
-- Post From My iPhone

No comments: